Menopause is the time in a woman’s life when she stops menstruating and her ovaries stop producing eggs. It’s a natural part of life’s journey and something that is actually not as scary as many women are led to believe.
But there are some menopause symptoms that can be not just uncomfortable but also painful, or even disruptive, to the life we are used to. These can include physical symptoms but also mental or psychological issues too.
There has been a growing awareness that the use of cannabis might be useful in the treatment of menopause symptoms. This is especially true in the United States where medical cannabis is widely available. But here in the UK and Europe, we rely on hemp derived CBD products to treat menopausal symptoms.
But what are the benefits of CBD for treating the symptoms of menopause, and is there any proof to back it up?
What are the Symptoms of Menopause?
Every woman is different, and menopause symptoms will differ from person to person. But generally speaking, the main physical menopause symptoms include:
- Hot flushes or night sweats: The most common symptom of menopause. A hot flush is a sudden feeling of warmth, often followed by profuse sweating. It usually lasts only a few minutes but can happen several times a day. Hot flushes, also referred to as hot flashes, may be triggered by environmental factors such as stress or eating spicy foods, but they often occur without warning or reason.
- Dry or oily skin: Some women also experience changes to their skin complexion as part of their menopausal symptoms. This might include acne, dry skin, oily skin or even rashes in some women.
- Vaginal dryness or pain: As well as the physical discomfort of vaginal dryness, for many women it also affects them psychologically. This can lead to body confidence issues, loss of libido and even feeling like they have lost their true self.
- Joint and muscle pain: Menopausal women also often suffer from pain due to hormonal changes in their bodies, especially in the perimenopause stage. This can contribute to issues with sleep disturbances and other physical discomfort.
- Sleep disturbances: Insomnia and/or frequent waking during the night are common complaints during perimenopause, the transitional period leading up to menopause. Insomnia may be due to hot flushes that disrupt sleep patterns; changes in hormone levels; pain from arthritis or other conditions.
- Hair loss and/or an increase in facial hair: Those pesky hormones can also change how our hair grows, with thinning or hair loss in some women, and additional facial hair in others.
In addition to the physical discomfort, menopausal women may experience changes to their energy levels, increases in anxiety, a loss of self confidence or even depression.
But, despite all these negative sounding physical changes, not every woman will experience every single one of these menopause symptoms. Let’s be honest here: the menopause can be uncomfortable and disruptive, but it can be managed.
And that is why many women are turning to CBD oil based products to manage their menopause symptoms.
But how can CBD help women going through menopause?
How Can CBD Help with Menopause?
CBD is a cannabinoid, one of the many chemical compounds that are found in the cannabis plant. Cannabinoids interact with your body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS), which regulates things like mood and sleep cycles.
A 2022 study into the use of medical cannabis to treat menopause symptoms found that CBD has been shown to reduce inflammation throughout the body by activating receptors called CB2 receptors in your immune system. This can help ease symptoms associated with menopause like hot flashes, night sweats and joint pain.
In addition to its anti-inflammatory properties, CBD has been shown to have antidepressant effects on people experiencing chronic stress or anxiety. These symptoms are common among women going through menopause.
And to add to this, cannabis and CBD products have also been shown as an effective treatment for insomnia caused by chronic pain.
Many of these studies have taken place in the United States, using medical cannabis. However in the UK, the use of marijuana for menopause is not one that is legally available.
But is CBD legal? Thankfully, yes. And there are a growing range of treatment options with therapeutic potential available to women here.
How to Take CBD for Menopause Relief
If you’re looking to try CBD for menopause relief, there are several ways you can do so. The most common way is by taking CBD oil or capsules.
However there are also options for other cannabis based edibles including CBD gummies, chocolate, coffee, soft drinks and even beer.
The benefits of using CBD gummies are that they do not contain additional stimulants in the same way that alcoholic or caffeinated beverages, or chocolate might. This can be very useful when it comes to reducing anxiety or helping to promote better sleep.
Another useful CBD product for perimenopause and menopause is the CBD patch. Patches use a slow release of CBD into the system to reduce the effects of hot flushes, joint or muscle pain and general physical discomfort.
Women are also increasingly becoming aware of the benefits of CBD for vaginal discomfort, especially when it comes to intimate use. CBD lube contains the active ingredient, cannabidiol, and is applied to the vagina to decrease inflammation, improve natural lubrication and promote a more enjoyable sexual experience.
Although clinical research into the effects of CBD for sexual intimacy are limited, there is growing albeit often anecdotal evidence that CBD oil infused lubes and massage oil are a game changer for many women.
ShelleySupply CBD intimacy oil is designed to help menopausal women keep their true self when it comes to their enjoyment of sex.
Tips for Taking CBD for Menopause Relief
If you’re new to CBD and want to try it for menopause relief, start with a low dose. Increase gradually over time until you find the right amount for your body.
Purchase high-quality CBD products that have been lab-tested by third parties. This will ensure that you’re getting exactly what’s advertised on the label-and nothing else.
We also always recommend spot testing topical CBD products on your skin before using them properly. For example, with our CBD lube or CBD cream, applying a small amount to the arm or leg a few hours before use can help to spot any unwanted reactions.
Although CBD allergies are rare, they can occur in a small percentage of the population.
Some side effects of CBD usage can include:
- Dry mouth (cottonmouth)
- Loss of appetite or nausea
- Skin rashes
Again, these side effects are very rare. But if you want to use CBD oil products safely, this is why you need to test them before you use them.
Why Use ShelleySupply CBD Oil for Menopause Relief?
Here at ShelleySupply, we have carefully created our CBD isolate based products with women in mind. CBD isolate means there is zero THC content, which is the psychoactive element in the cannabis plant, which is different from broad spectrum CBD.
All of our CBD oil based products contain 100% natural ingredients and botanicals and they are vegan certified.
In addition to this, our CBD products have all gone through third party testing and can be used as a nonprescription treatment for menopause.
Our CBD lube is designed to help you keep your true self. But all of our CBD oil based products are designed to help you carry on in daily life and avoid the discomfort that many women experience.